Friday, October 16, 2009

A moving update

In the sense of driving.  After practicing my left-side stick-shift driving uneventfully on a couple of trips to Ikea, I found out that apparently the English practical driving test has a few rather stringent requirements.  The situation, as explained to me by my friend, is that I “know how to drive, but now [I] have to learn to take the test.” The problem is that they are very particular about a few things that I do not do naturally:

  1. You are required to downshift while braking in every circumstance.  I understand that this is safer than just braking because you can accelerate away, but worse for the clutch.
  2. You must use the handbrake for starting almost every time.  While this is probably safer and better for the car when you are on a hill, I do not find it natural and normally only do it on steep inclines.
  3. They require you to check the mirrors constantly and in a particular order, especially while braking.  Normally when I’m braking I look at the relevant mirrors (rear-view, then the right and/or left ones depending on where I am on a road), but they want you to (apparently) go in a set order, even if you are driving on a narrow, one-lane, one-way road.

I have been advised that I should really take a few lessons before my test, which is not a bad idea, especially considering the other problem: despite being able to drive without restriction, for the test I need to have a car with special insurance and plates.  This makes no sense because it means that I am allowed to terrorize the populace while driving on my own, but that when I am supervised by a government employee, they need to be warned.  However, despite this warning the licensing authorities are unyielding, and I thus need to hire an instructor to take me to my test on the day.  As a result of all of these extra costs and hassles (£31 theory test, £75 practical test, £20/hr driving lessons for practice and the test) I decided that I’ll hold off until I know how long I’m going to be here.  The important thing is that I have a UK ID now, so I can use it of proof of address and identity.  Meanwhile, I can make sure that I do all of the tourist attractions that require driving within my first 12 months.  If I decide to take my test I will just need to take a few lessons and give myself a three month buffer (though I don’t see why I should need to drive) to have everything scheduled. The irony, of course, is that I will be legally able to drive in most countries other than the one of my residence.  Very bizarre.

On a happier note, my trips to Ikea mean that my room is now quite tidy, though still undecorated.  On my first trip I got some photo frames and a bed-side table, but discovered that they were not only a really bad color for the room, but that I didn’t need the frames anyway, since my housemates purchased many in Asia so that we could hang photos in matching frames all over the house.  After returning the frames and exchange the table, everything looks great!  Now I just need to find those frames, and get some photos printed. I have to say that I was awfully tempted by the New York City photos at Ikea, so undoubtedly I will have to make some city prints in addition to those of the family variety.

No comments: