Friday, October 30, 2009

Why can’t I get anything?

“A what?” the customer service agent asks.

“A pie tin,” I respond.  I find myself making hand gestures normally reserved for countries where I do not speak the local language natively. 

A few seconds pass before I am directed to an aisle that contains flat metal dishes, each about the size of a tea saucer.  Alas, they will not do for a pie.

Of all the things that I have found difficult to acquire here, pie tins have surprised me the most.  Surely people bake pies in this country! In fact, I know they do, and yet pie tins were not forthcoming.  Fortunately for our Canadian Thanksgiving celebration happening later that day (a couple of Sundays ago), I was able to find, after checking every home shop and department store at the mall, a couple of cake dishes that were approximately the same size and shape as a pie tin, but with vertical (as opposed to slanted) edges. 

Canadian Thanksgiving was, in all, a great success. We had about 20 people, and we’re looking to follow it up with a great American edition on the 22nd of November.  Now, if only I can find some cranberries!

No comments: